Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume with email subject “Applicant: NSP Communications Director” to Debra Lloyd at email@example.com.
Job Title: Communications Director
Department: National Sorghum Producers
Reports To: External Affairs Director
Location: NSP Headquarters, Lubbock, Texas
NSP is the national commodity organization for sorghum and represents U.S. sorghum farmers nationwide. The member-focused organization is the voice of the sorghum industry and works through education, legislative and regulatory issues relevant to the industry. NSP is headquartered in Lubbock, Texas, with members in 30 states and affiliate organizations in seven states throughout the U.S.
The general responsibilities for the NSP communications director are to provide a broad range of public relations and marketing communications support to the organization. This individual should have knowledge of comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, and marketing to advance an organization’s mission and goals. Thorough knowledge and experience in the following areas is necessary:
- Communications planning
- Production of newsletters, press releases, marketing literature, and other print publications
- Website development and maintenance
- Social media management
The communications director reports to the external affairs director for communications-related day-to-day activities and questions. The external affairs director performs personnel reviews and works with the chief executive officer on salary administration for this position.
- Provide consistent communication to growers, corporate partners, E-Members and media.
- Manage the development, distribution and maintenance of all print and electronic materials including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, presentations and NSP’s website. Some of these items include:
- Sorghum Notes – communications coordinator researches and writes the newsletter to be submitted to the external affairs director and chief executive officer for review before distribution.
- Sorghum Action Alerts
- Press releases
- Social media management
- Serve as executive editor for the NSP website and provide organizational response to inquiries received through the website.
- Track and measure the level of engagement with print and electronic outreach materials.
- Provide referrals for Sorghum Synergies and Sustainable Crop Insurance Services.
- Provide communications support to all NSP subsidiaries.
- Contribute to the planning and development of Sorghum Grower magazine (published quarterly) and serve as associate editor.
- Maintain contact with media, schedule regular and relevant interviews and respond to media inquiries.
- Assist with Commodity Classic preparation, including setting up media interviews, booth organization and board member coordination at Classic.
- Prepare for and attend the National Association of Farm Broadcasters (NAFB) Convention annually.
- Collaborate with the CEO and association’s lobbyist organizations to develop communications strategies that will broaden grassroots legislative and regulatory reach and deepen impact of the benefits NSP members receive.
- Collaborate on materials required for briefings and on-site meetings during NSP’s annual D.C. Fly-In.
- Equivalent to a bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university in agricultural communications or related field
- Prior experience in agricultural industries preferred but not required
- Prior experience working in Washington, D.C., preferred but not required
- Communications experience that includes a blend of advocacy and public relations
- Ability to build industry and media relationships
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud/Suite
- Proficiency in AP Style
- Photo/video experiences a plus but not required
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- Experience using social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube
- Ability to coach and support senior leaders as spokespersons
- Self-starter; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Possess energy, maturity and leadership with a desire to unify and position communications discussions at strategic levels
- Ability to effectively work under tight deadlines and manage projects independently
NSP is an equal employment opportunity employer and strives to comply with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, creed, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, marital status, medical condition, or sexual orientation, as well as any other category protected by federal, state, or local laws. All such discrimination is unlawful and all persons involved in the operations of NSP are prohibited from engaging in this type of conduct.